Thursday, February 15, 2018

food trucks

Yesterday in wood shop at the Clear Spring school the plan was for my first grade students to finish their toy unicorns. But then when a project is  complete, they ask "what's next?" Whatever Might propose, they have ideas of their own. One girl asked, "Do you have hinges?" Going through my parts drawers, I found some. I had asked, how do you know about hinges? It turns out that her mother also likes making things. That's a good thing and explains why she has so many great ideas in class.

The wood shop serves as a design laboratory as well as a way to integrate studies. So what was she going to make? She and a friend had made tuna fish (shaped like fish), salt and pepper shakers, plates, stove tops, and what else would be needed? A food truck. The hinges were needed so that it could open.

Today my wife and I are headed for a visit with my daughter in New York.

On the national scene, when will enough children be dead for the Republicans in Congress to offer something more than their moments of silence, prayers and condolences? How about a moment of legislation to fix things and make our children safe?

Make, fix, create, and increase the likelihood that others learn likewise.




No comments:

Post a Comment