Saturday, October 07, 2017

calligraphy and blocks..

My high school students have been practicing with the pens they've made in wood shop. Each Wednesday their teacher assigns a quote for them to write. Evidence of style is emerging, and the students are enjoying it, as you can see in the photo.

Work presented with style has greater impact. You can have the best ideas in the world, but if you cannot present them through a process that shows integrity and care, you may never get them across the threshold of success.

Yesterday in wood shop, my upper elementary school students made Soma cube puzzles, and as I was very busy assisting, I got no photos of that.

I planned that exercise to get my students to pay careful attention to the alignment of edges, and more careful use of glue. A side benefit was for them to observe carefully the difference between end grain and side grain. End grain absorbs glue more readily and is more difficult to get an effective glue joint. Success can be improved by careful observation of the materials.

To prepare for this exercise I make hundreds of small cherry blocks.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning lifewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment