Tuesday, August 22, 2017

today in the wood shop.

Today I will be cleaning and making inlay in my wood shop, and preparing for classes at the Clear spring School. My book on box guitars goes off to the printer on Friday, I have orders to fill, and I am also preparing for a visit from an editor at Fine Woodworking in two weeks. My summer was busy, and the onset of the school year is making things more so.

Yesterday my wife and I took a few minutes out of our day to watch the solar eclipse. Here in Northwest Arkansas, the eclipse was only a partial one at 92 percent. But the image of the sun and moon made beautiful shadows on the deck. A colander held between the sun and white paper also cast interesting shadows of the eclipse. In the second photo, Jean holds the colander while I am taking the picture with the iPhone. The shadows tell the story, and remind me that all life in interconnected by light.

My friend Bob told me about waking up one morning in Guatemala, with the market outside  and all its activity projected on the wall of his room through a pinhole in the shutter that covered his window. The light passing through pinhole sized spaces between leaves has the same effect.

We had glasses for safe viewing, but standing under the trees and observing the effects was just as interesting as watching the moon gradually pass before the sun.

In 2024 Eureka Springs will be directly in the path of totality, so that eclipse will be even more dramatic than this one and we'll not have to drive any distance to see it.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment