Sunday, June 25, 2017

organizing

It will take months to get the ESSA wood studio into its final form. We still have machinery arriving. Storage shelves must be built. And general organizing must be done.

Yesterday I assembled small  pieces of PVC pipe, nesting one inside the other to connect the compound miter saw to a dust collector. I was thinking at first I would have to craft a special part from wood to connect the 1 1/2 in. outlet port on the compound miter saw to fit the 2 1/2 in. dust collector hose, or order something and wait for UPS.

Instead, I found the solution right at hand. I took two pieces of electrical conduit of two different sizes and carefully fitted one to the other and then to the dust collector hose. It is gratifying when the immediacy of observation and imagination replace waiting for the arrival of the UPS truck. Best of all was that my solution used pipe left over from making tool holders for the lathe room. If not for my use of them they would have been thrown out, and my solution required less time than searching google for the right part.

 I also finished sleds for the table saws but for the first cut which will be made when my students are in the shop on Monday morning. The rack my volunteers and I made for pipe clamps works just as I intended.

Today I'll continue organizing the shop. What I do in preparation for Monday's class will serve other instructors as well in the finished shop.

Make, fix, create, and increase the odds that others love learning likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment