Wednesday, June 14, 2017

At the end of day three box making

My adult students have been doing well with their box making. Most have unusual boxes of their own design, as well as boxes like the ones I often make on my own. One student is attempting to learn to cut dovetails by hand.

Today I demonstrated hinge installation, and making mitered finger joints. I also assisted my students with troubleshooting, design questions, and attempted to offer encouragement when things were not going quite right.

As all my students know, there are many ways that box making can go wrong. But if it was too easy, it would not be so fulfilling.

Today I began ordering a few things for the new wood studio at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts. It will take a period of time to get all things up and running the way we want.

I have heard from two educators in the last two days. One is using my books and DVD to teach box making. Another,  in Vancouver, BC has started a program in which he invited a first nations woodcarver to build a tool box with his kids. The lovely box with carving tools is shown in the photo above.

Make, fix, create and assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment