Tuesday, August 30, 2016

report on first day of school...

I had my first class with my 7th and 8th grade students  at Clear Spring School yesterday, asking them to do some work for me (restoring sanding blocks) while we discussed the projects they are interested in doing this year. They are interested in learning veneer work, making boxes, making tools, and making things to sell to raise money for travel.

I thought I had the steeples worked out for my small chapels of wood, but am reversing course. It is always inherently appealing to do things a new way, but we should always be ready to assess whether what's new provides new value. These new steeples as shown in yesterday's post were hard to do, but even though I invested too much time in them, in reflection, they do not fit quite as I hoped. The fix will be simple, and perhaps will be shown later in the day. I will make ridge pieces from walnut to which a turned steeple piece will be attached.

The lovely illustration of a plane and its parts is from the Course of Study, Manual Training Department of the Elementary Public Schools, Chicago 1899-1900. Compiled by R. F. Beardsley and available from google books. It contains a huge amount of interesting philosophy and instruction awaiting a renewal of interest.

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the opportunity to learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment