Friday, May 06, 2016

kerfed lining and clamps.

kerfed lining
This has been teacher appreciation week at the Clear Spring School and so there have been special treats provided during the week, and the week culminates with a luncheon this afternoon.

In my own woodshop, I've been using a rasp to continue shaping guitar necks, and also making kerfed lining material for the insides of ukuleles. I tried making the kerfed lining on the table saw but kept having it come apart due to the impact of the saw. I finally settle on using the band saw. It may seem tedious but takes no more than about 10 to 15 minutes to make enough for a uke.

Some of my box guitars have thick enough sides so that the kerfed lining is not needed. But for bentwood sides, the kerfed material is used to thicken where the top and bottom are glued so better adhesion results.

The photo below shows new clamps I've made for gluing the top and bottom on box guitars. These use common carriage bolts, washers and wingnuts or knobs and cost just over $1.00 each in the US, provided you make your own wooden parts.

With kerfed lining made, I can begin gluing it in place. Photos may come later in the day.

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the love of learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment