Wednesday, May 25, 2016

almost summer

My summer has almost started, and yesterday I had my last day of class for the school year at Clear Spring School. My high school students were busy finishing their box guitars and one finished her battery powered amp. In the photo at left you can see the initial drawing used in the design of Ozric's guitar. While some changes were made, the overall design remained true to his original concept. The design will go in his school portfolio.

Today I'll be going through photos of the student's school year, organizing evidence of their learning, and will make a trip to a photo processor so that photos of their work can be included in student portfolios as documentation of their growth.

The standard means of assessment in the US is the distribution of letter grades about which many students care nothing. They know that school is about getting through, as though it is something to be endured rather than enjoyed. But students at Clear Spring have other ideas about schooling and while looking forward to summer activities are not pleased to have school out for the summer.

I have a busy summer planned that I am looking forward to. On June 7, 8 and 9, I'll have an editor here from Fine Woodworking to take photos for two articles in the magazine that will come out sometime late in 2016 or early in 2017. Then on June 15, I'll travel to Marc Adams School of Woodworking for 9 days of class, making boxes and small cabinets.

During the summer months I simply change from teaching kids to teaching adults, and never lose access to the opportunity to create beautiful and useful objects from wood.

Make, fix, create and encourage others to learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment