Thursday, March 10, 2016

classes...

My classes in Portland are gradually gaining students and I'm getting just a bit more prepared each day. Yesterday I milled the walnut stock for making miter keys that fit a thin kerf blade. They are thin and elegant. This morning I prepared stock for making wooden try squares like those used at Clear Spring School for my education symposium.
My classes at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking are nearly full now for this summer, but there are openings for about two or three students in my week long box making class. I still have openings at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts in July.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to sign contracts in the coming week or so for my Wisdom of the Hands Book and for a book about making box guitars.

You can see in the photos at top and at left, that my students are making progress on theirs.

In the meantime, the New England Association of Woodworking Teachers is in their 15th year and still going strong with two meetings a year. NEAWT has an advantage in having both public and independent school teachers as members. While many public schools are continuing to shrink or abandon their woodworking programs, many of the most prestigious independent schools in the US have regarded woodworking as essential to their school's culture.

We're working to see that other schools become that smart. We learn best, at the deepest level, making the most essential connections and to greatest lasting effect when we learn hands-on.

Make, fix, create and extend to others the opportunity to learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment