Tuesday, August 26, 2014

cookies from down under...

olive wood
Richard Bazeley has been cutting tree cookies in his own school in Australia. these small slices of wood are an excellent correlation between wood shop and science classes, and if a kid becomes interested in science as a result of doing something real in wood shop, no harm is done by having such opportunities available.

In fact the greater harm is done by having children learn about science without ever learning to do science. As I've said so many times before, you can't successfully whittle a stick without using scientific method, and so the wood shop is the perfect launch site for the future of scientific engagement.

The other thing that this project demonstrates is the usefulness of the teacher's enthusiasm. Richard plans to offer a plate of cookies for examination by other teaching staff when they have their morning tea. I have some small tack on feet that will go on the underside of our tree cookies that will turn them into small coasters or trivets.

This simple project is also a good demonstration of the appropriate use of technology. Richard and I have been exchanging photos taken with iPhone and iPad, and so while most schools are trying to figure out ways of excluding such devices from the classroom, they are just tools.

Just as one would learn the appropriate care and use of the hammer or saw, children must learn the appropriate use of more advanced technologies.

Tree cookies of various species are beautiful!
I received a wonderful remembrance of my Mother as a Kindergarten teacher, which may explain why I find Kindergarten to be the most wonderful age in schooling. Each and every year should be as memorable as Kindergarten, and Teresa wrote:
I came across your blog after talking to my own kids this morning about my wonderful kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Stowe. I was in her afternoon class in the fall of 1973. At 46, I still have so many memories of being in her class. I was telling my children about the tee-pee that we had in our class and the clay pots we made like Native Americans. There was an alphabet rug on the floor and everyone sat in a circle on the letters. We learned a lot about letters! I remember a time we had a full carnival in our classroom, just for our class. She passed out popcorn and we had a great time! We got naps back in those days and every day I would lay so still, so quiet because the kid who was the quietest, got to use the clown puppet to walk around the room and wake everyone up, one by one. What a privilege that was! Your mom was a special woman that leaves behind a legacy of excellence in teaching. 

Make, fix and create...


.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful gift from Teresa. Your mother was a very special person, a true teacher.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete