Saturday, June 21, 2014

Vigeland

No one should visit Oslo for the first time without also visiting Vigelandsparken, the sculpture park built by Norwegian sculptor Gustav Vigeland. The park and the work within it is of unimaginable scale. I'm not sure what else to say about it. It left me speechless. One small point that I can safely make is that no man is an island unto himself, and for some reason or another, Gustav Vigeland gained the confidence of Oslo to build one of the most dramatic expressions of humanity that could ever be imagined, having been designed and made by one man. If you think one man can make a difference in the lives of others, Vigelandsparken should not be missed. While my wife and I were there, we could see how many other lives were also being touched. Each statue invites touch and direct physical engagement. The sculptures shown below are of over 200 cast in bronze or carved from granite to last centuries.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment