Sunday, November 25, 2012

MIY

A friend Jackie on twitter asked:
Emergency. Emergency. We are out of Qtips. Anyone make those locally?
Are Qtips a thing you could make yourself? Imagine needle felting from yesterday's post. That technique be applied to make Qtips more creative and certainly more personal than they already are.

DIY is about as local as you can get and the inclination to MIY (make it yourself) is the foundation of human culture. If Vicki Hardcastle can make tiny pigs and other creatures by needle felting, why not make Qtips as an art form that serves the imagination in better ways than the real thing? If small is beautiful, can exquisite art (rather than other yucky things) be expressed on the tip of a cotton swab? I can see a whole new art and craft genre emerging here. Locally made Qtips being sold internationally on Etsy. I shipped a box to an Etsy customer in Singapore last week, and exquisitely crafted Qtips would be much easier on the postal service.

OK, I'm kidding. But in regard to Qtips I'm already up to my ears in boxes and I'll "stick" to making useful-beautiful things from real wood.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment