Monday, October 22, 2012

ideas and ideals...

From T.W. Berry's Educational Handicraft, 1912...
Any course in Manual Training that does not give the pupil both ideas and ideals is a failure; ideas of the use of tools, of the nature, adaptability, and strength of materials, and somewhat of their value in money, of the common devices in joining woods, and in simple textile ares, and, at the same time, teaching the necessity of co-operating with one's fellows if good work is to result; and placing ideals of neatness, accuracy, truthfulness, and economy before the pupil. It is no small gain socially that Handicraft is helpful in later life which may provide pleasant and profitable occupation for what might otherwise be dull evening, if not evenings spent under unsatisfactory conditions.
I am nearing completion of the 3oo boxes I started less than one month ago, and was nervous about whether I would be able to get this amount of work done (and teach school and take part in the photography of two articles for Fine Woodworking. I am relieved that with the help of a friend, I've come this far. And now I can return my thoughts more deeply to other things.

Today in the Clear Spring School wood shop, 4th 5th and 6th grade students will be finishing their puzzle maps of Pangea, and beginning to make pencil boxes. My high school students will continue work on the necks of their cigar box guitars.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment