Wednesday, June 27, 2012

today in the CFC woodshop...

My students are realizing that we have only three more days, and they have already expressed regrets that this amazing two week class is coming to a close. I have made a variety of boxes myself, which is unusual. I normally manage to make but one demo box, and usually not of the best quality. I've been taking time to experiment, allowing myself the luxury of making a few mistakes by trying a few new things. And I'll have a box to give to the school and more that I will ship home.

Last night I walked the long breakwater out to the Rockland lighthouse. It is 7/8 mile long, so I was able to get in a 2 mile hike. The breakwater is made from massive, irregular chunks of granite, quarried and placed long before as much modern equipment was available and will be there long beyond the time in which facebook has faded from memory and the very last iPod is crushed in a landfill. I wonder if those unknown makers had a sense that what they were doing would last generations?

I've not spent enough time visiting the other classes, but that seems to be the pattern at every school I teach. This afternoon I plan a quick field trip down the street to visit Thomas Lie-Nielsen and show him my dovetail marking tool in the hopes that he will take an interest in making them from brass. It would be lovely to have the satisfaction of knowing that something I've made could have the capacity to make things easier and more interesting for others.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment