Friday, June 22, 2012

progress...

Today all my students and I made progress. Some are more experienced and confident than others, but the great thing about box making is that you can engage in it at any level you choose.

I've been rethinking my "nimphius box," as I had to wet and iron the pieces of mahogany to get them to take an adequate bend, and it is becoming a head-scratcher. This afternoon folks came by from Thomas Lie-Nielsen Tool Works, looking for photo props to display a tiny new bronze bodied plane. I gave the plane a test in my own hands, and they chose some of my boxes, and either I or my boxes may end up on their facebook page, along with a link to the blog. Lie-Nielsen is just down the street from CFC and I plan to visit there next week after Thomas returns from England.

Tomorrow I plan to get up early and drive to Machiasport and visit a friend, Bill Coperthwaite. The boxes above and below are some that I've been doing as demonstration boxes for the class. Make, fix and create...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Doug
    I made a visit out to Bill's on my last trip to Maine as well...and plan to go back in July when I am at CFC. I look forward to hearing more about your trip down east. Hope to come & see you in Boston in July.
    Peter Follansbee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, I was reminded to visit Bill while in Maine by reading about your visit with Bill in your blog. While I've had the pleasure of knowing Bill for years throuh a mutual friend, this will be my first visit to his seven story yurt.

    I look forward to seeing you in Boston.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete