Thursday, May 10, 2012

engaging the non-discriminatory mind...

I am working at home today. Yesterday I began making boxes using my dedicated finger joint router set-up. This morning, I've sanded through the skin at the tips of a couple fingers and have green protective tape on a few to keep matters from getting worse. I also have been trying to sell off excess equipment to make room in the wood shop. I have a whole lot of cleaning to do in both shops, here and at school.

I continue to be intrigued by Pestalozzi's concept anshauung as it describes a non-discriminatory state of mind, much like what Buddhists strive to attain, in which the incessant naming of things begins to cease, and things are seen in relationship, defining not separateness, but the unity of all things. In an earlier post this week, I mentioned Goethe's use of the term anschauung as he discussed the narrow mindedness of modern science as it was developing in his time. There is a strong relationship between anschauung and the non-discriminatory mind.

It should come as no surprise that those in the East, and those in the West, taking time to observe the processes of human thought, might come to similar observations.

The major challenge facing American education at this time, concerns how we move from being a left-brain centered child development model to one that fully engages the whole child. My answer is simple. When you are making something real in service of your family and community, that expresses useful beauty, both hands are involved and both hemispheres of the human brain. Make music, make art and the spirit of humanity within education is restored.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment