Thursday, June 16, 2011

Talking heads

I am in Kansas City to teach a class with the Kansas City Woodworker's Guild so unlike most mornings, I am in a motel room watching talking heads on TV. I think that being connected through the hands to physical reality gives me a different view, but they(the talking heads) are the ones who are paid big bucks to shape public opinion and manipulate our elections. I am reminded why John Stewart is thought by many to be the bests source of news commentary as much of his program makes use of the foolishness of talking heads, who seem to be out of touch.

It is important to know what is going on in the world, but perhaps talking heads could be made more accountable to physical and cultural reality by bringing more of their whole persons into actual engagement. A wood shop would help bring some common sense grounding to their opinions. I'll wish for it.
"Put a young man in a wood shop, he becomes a philosopher while thinking himself only a craftsman." --Rousseau
This morning at the Kansas City Woodworker's Guild, we will begin making boxes.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment