Friday, July 30, 2010

making and the hands...

There is not much of interest that I can report in the blog, except that I am meeting some interesting people and renewing acquaintance with old friends at my conference in Detroit. This afternoon, I will meet with associates of the Big Picture Company, and tomorrow will attend the Maker Faire in Dearborn near the Henry Ford Museum.

My rooms are in the Oliver Wolcott building, part of a collection of buildings containing suites of the Dearborn Inn Hotel and Conference Center. My suite is decorated in an early American style with replica mahogany furniture. As a woodworker, I get under things to see how they are made, and while I'm sorry to report that the furniture in the suite was assembled with nail guns, I'm not complaining. Only the rarest of visitors would take time to know the difference.Oliver Wolcott was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

As I have mentioned before in the blog, the hands touch every facet of human affairs, growth, and reality, so surely they offer the best means to give new shape to American education.

This evening I had a brief tour of tomorrow's Maker Faire and the photo below offers a preview of attractions. Don't you wish you'd made that?

No comments:

Post a Comment