Sunday, February 21, 2010

embodied cognition

From the New York Times, Abstract Thoughts? The Body Takes Them Literally By Natalie Angier
“How we process information is related not just to our brains but to our entire body,” said Nils B. Jostmann of the University of Amsterdam. “We use every system available to us to come to a conclusion and make sense of what’s going on.”
And a commentary from one leading scholar as to the ways this article explains American politics A Good Week for Science — and Insight into Politics by George Lakoff

What these articles point out is what I've described many times before in the blog. Our hands shape, not only our physical environment, but our social and political ones as well. Forget to educate the hands and the mind and character suffer as well.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:17 AM

    Hello Doug!
    I am an arts student from Brazil, my final project for college will be on 'hands'.
    I loved your blog and your perspective on the subject!
    Hopefully we can share information!

    Send my love to Arkansas! I miss those pretty lakes!

    Ana.

    ReplyDelete