Monday, February 23, 2009

No real surprises... but plenty of amazement

I finished Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers, The Story of Success. My wife and I are deeply engaged parents, supporting our daughter's interests and education. There are many of us in the world, though perhaps not enough. As outlined clearly in Gladwell's book, success is built on two factors, timing and commitment, not only in the individual, but in his family, community and culture. There is not much a person can to about timing. There are lucky things that happen to lay paths toward success, and I won't spoil the book. But why is it that the bulk of parents are so disengaged in their children's success? That is the subject of my amazement.

Today I am preparing for tomorrow's classes and working on the walnut bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment