Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Today, I introduced hand planes and saws to a fresh crop of first graders. In the first and second grade class we made pencil sharpeners as illustrated in Gustaf Larsson's Elementary Sloyd and Whittling and in the 3rd and 4th grade class we began making note holders for their desks, a project which will be finished next week. Tomorrow, the students from 5th through 8th will work on designing the benches for Crystal Bridges Museum using the walnut that was harvested when the grounds were cleared for construction.

1 comment:

  1. Doug: My hats off to you for introducing woodworking to kids. It is unfortunate that many schools no longer have "industrial arts" classes, once commonplace in US schools. For me, it was these classes that gave me confidence that I could undertake a tangible task, use my creativity, and complete a project. Very rewarding for young minds. I look forward to hearing more about what you are doing and how it is impacting kids and your community. Keith (www.woodtreks.com)

    ReplyDelete