Monday, September 17, 2007

I am home from my trip to Detroit, and am getting ready for classes tomorrow. Jack McKee sent me a review copy of his book Woodshop for Kids It has some great projects in it, but more important, it has great advice. Kids can come up with projects, but parents and teachers need to keep them safe and to help them discover the techniques that lead to a safe and satisfying woodworking experience. As I read through, I find so many ideas that so clearly reflect my own experience in the Clear Spring wood shop. Along with Richard Starr's book, Woodworking With Kids, this is a book I highly recommend.

On another matter, you may be interested in downloading Bengt Svensson's 1902 model series from his website http://www.formitra.com/ Click on the CD cover of the 1902 model series on the left of the opening page and then scroll to near the bottom on the next page where you can click for download.

Bengt is a sloyd teacher in Sweden who collected an entire Nääs model series from a community in Sweden, where they had been saved for many years in the homes of former sloyd students. I hope to begin some discussion of this valuable contribution to Sloyd history as I have time available in the coming weeks. The photo below is of Model I in the 1902 series, courtesy of Bengt Svensson.

No comments:

Post a Comment