Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Localism... My apologies to those who have been attending the blog lately without finding much new to read. I've been working on small boxes. The dog days of August arrive early in Arkansas. They say, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity." And I would add it may not just be the humidity, it's also the bugs. And for some it might be the snakes. yikes!

Anyway, if you've ever seen a dog laying at the side of the road, just hoping a passing truck might stir up a draft... if you have enough imagination to feel what it's like to be that dog, then you know what the end of June can be like in Arkansas.

There is a subject in the news lately, "localism" and I heard it mentioned this week in a report on NPR about small business in France and their general resistance to globalization and the introduction of the "big-box store". I had heard localism mentioned earlier in the week when a local food producer made a presentation on gardening at our local UU church.

When something is really, really local, we say it is "at hand," so I think you may be able to grasp where localism fits the ongoing discussion in the Wisdom of the Hands blog. I plan to spend a few days on the subject, and would welcome your comments and participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment