Monday, March 19, 2007

Back in the summer of 2000, I began working on the book, Wisdom of the Hands, by first exploring my own directions and needs for research. At that point, I realized that my own way of learning, wasn't to get out the books, but to throw myself, sink or swim in waters over my head. I had talked with publishers about the project, and the answer was either, "that book won't sell," or "send us the finished manuscript and we'll look at it."

In the fall of 2001, we started the Wisdom of the Hands program at Clear Spring School. It had two purposes. It was designed to serve as a model of what woodworking can do in general education. It was also designed to allow me to engage in the kinds of learning I do best...from actual experience.

In 2002, in conversation with John Lavine, editor of Woodwork Magazine, I told him of my need to begin working on the book. He suggested that I write and submit portions of it as articles for the magazine. That would give me an audience and deadlines to keep my writing in motion.

This September, my wife came home from a class at the library on blogging. She said, "this sounds like something you would enjoy." I thought, "what a great way to get my thoughts down on a regular basis!" I realized that in just a few months I could have enough text for a good editor to shape into a book.

Two weeks ago, I contacted a literary agent who has asked for the following: A chapter of the book, and a synopsis. Armed with those two things and this blog, she will help me find the publisher I'll need to take this message to the streets. The 7 or 8 articles I've written for woodworking magazines and educational journals will serve in lieu of chapters. John Kelsey, founding editor of Fine Woodworking has expressed willingness to be editor. John Lavine is gathering the articles I've published with Woodwork as .pdf files and those will be provided as supplemental material.

The synopsis will be something you can help me with over the next few days. This will be a rather unique opportunity. I want the synopsis to be no more than 4 pages, providing an outline of the important but neglected role of the hands in learning. Tomorrow, I will begin presenting the rough outline in the pages of this blog. Feel free to contact me with your suggestions. Tomorrow, come hell or high water, the synopsis begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment