Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Educational Sloyd...the student's choice? Two of my classes are finishing projects and and I asked what they wanted to do next. While they were wondering, I asked, "What about Sloyd?" "What's that they asked?" "That's where you learn hand-skills as a means of overall academic development." I gave them copies of my articles and showed them some of the most basic projects, thinking that perhaps they might consider them too simplistic and uncreative. Those were the charges that G. Stanley Hall made in his critic of Sloyd at the end of the 19th Century. Someday when I have a lot of time on my hands I'll embark on a very long, boring and detailed discussion of the psychologies of G. Stanley Hall and William James and their very different views of Educational Sloyd.

To my great surprise, the students were excited about Sloyd. We'll see how things turn out.


In the meantime, the 5th and 6th grades finished their toy cars in the woodshop this morning. My guest, Greg Mitchell, like nearly all the guests in the woodshop, worked on his own projects and assisted the students when they asked. Woodworking is actually such an engaging activity that it is hard to just sit on the sidelines and watch. Greg is a master in the making of rustic furniture, so it was wonderful having him as a guest.

The photo above is of Greg helping Brendon.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:04 AM

    Boy, I fell way behind in just two or three days. Good for Bunny! And especially good for those guests who come to the shop at Clear Spring to work along with the students. The best lessons I've learned working with wood were learned while watching others work. People can tell me, and sometimes I'll get it, but if I can see it and try it with my own hands, the lesson gets through.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete